Apr 21, 2009

On Facebook

Do you remember we mentioned in class when reviewing 111 and 112 that there are always new words that need to be defined, described, compared, contrasted, etc.? We also referred to Blogs and Wikis and some of their differences. What would a good definition of Facebook be?

Well, I googled it and this is what I found: "Facebook is a free-access social networking online utility that easily connects people with friends and others who work, study and live around them. People use Facebook to keep up with friends, upload an unlimited number of photos, share links and videos, and learn more about the people they meet"

It definitely is not a simple or static webpage. It is made up of many networks, each based around a company, region, or school. People can only see the profiles of confirmed friends and the people in their networks. Privacy settings can be set at any time to control who can see what on Facebook.

"The Wall is a really interesting place to look for buzz, because when one person writes a post on a friend's or a group's Wall, tens, hundreds, or even thousands of people might see it; those viewers may read, digest, and pass on that information, spreading it virally."

By the way "free-access social networking online utility" is a compound word or complex noun phrase, the center of which is ... what word? Try to untangle the phrase into its components. Let´s see who can get the right meaning.

21 comments:

Adriana Gil said...

I guess the key word of the phrase is: Utility. Because the reast of the words are adjectives that describes the noun :utility.

Alfredo Correa said...

I think the center word of phrase is NETWORKING. Because the reast of phrase just describe the caracteristics of this word.

Patricia Chacon said...

I believe that the center word is: utility, because give us more information that the others words and sometimes the last word in the prhase say us what the thing is.In this case "utility" is the head noun.

Rafael Blanco said...

i think the key word is utility. because the rest of the words are adjectives, and the adjectives always go before the noun they are describing, which in this case would be "utility"

Georgina Elorza said...

I believe that the key word is utility, first of all because it's the only noun in the whole phrase and secondly because usually all adjectives that come before a noun are used to describe that noun. Therefore, "utility" has to be the main word because it's the only one that can exist by itself in that phrase.

Kevin Esposito said...

I think it's "utility" because this is the main "object" of the frase; in fact, all the other words can be seen like adjetives or characteristics for "utility"..

Kevin Esposito

Romina Hernandez said...

I think the center word is utility too. The other words are adjectives an also they describe the noun "utility".

Romina Hernandez.

Anonymous said...

i also think that the key word is "Utility", because this word was described in the text with adjectives.

Alberto Kabbabe Machado said...

I agree with my classmates who said that the key word is utility because the other words are adjectives of the main one and to prove it we see how the complex noun pharse would not have any sense without utility in it

Marielis Rojas said...

I think the word is useful because the adjectives are used to describe it, is centered around giving it the meaning.

Carla Guadalupe Cabello López. said...

I think the keyword of the phrase is: Utility. Because I remember that in ID-111 we saw something call Compound Nouns and my teacher emphasized that we always had to focus on the last word of the sentence then the other words will be additional information. I`ll try to find the correct definition of Compound Noun in my book….

Carla Guadalupe Cabello López.

Carla Guadalupe Cabello López. said...

Here is the information from the book :D...

The English Language makes frequent use of expression in which a combination of many ideas is condensed into a few words. These combinations produce a structure that is extremely compact where a main noun or head noun is preceded by one or more words that give us more information about the head noun.

We can solve possible problems of confusion or ambiguity by analyzing the order of the words. The last word in the compound noun phrase says what the thing is, while the words that precede describe it. For example: A heat control device which is a device that control heats.

Carla Guadalupe Cabello López.

Hymalai said...

hello, well I found this article very interesting because I had to clarify the doubts of facebook, it became clear that is what makes Facebook a social networking website.

I think it was a very wise decision to put an article that talked about some of our day to day in this world of technology and progress.

Hymalai said...

hello, well I found this article very interesting because I had to removed the doubts of facebook, it became clear that is what makes Facebook a social networking website.

I think it was a very wise decision to put an article that talked about some of our day to day in this world of technology and progress.

ISAAC RONDON said...

well, i think that facebook has many utilities, but the main one is that facebook its a great way to keep in touch with your love ones and friends and it helps us to learn more about the people we know and they're interests.

about the compound word, i agree with the other that the central word is utility, and the others ones are adjetives.

isaac rondon

Raúl Rodríguez said...

well, i didn't have facebook, and that makes found this reading interesting.

abaut the key word, i belive that is utility too,cause the rest of the words are adjetives.

Alejandro Nunes said...

I believe that facebook is in two words: A gossip! jajajaja

Maria Fernanda Baez said...

Que especifico Alejandro jajaja, yo no lo vería solamente como un chisme sino mas bien como un lugar en donde puedes conocer muchas personas y estar en permanente contacto con amigos y familiares, y con respecto a lo de la frase me parece que la palabra es networking, porque creo que de lo que están hablando es de eso de redes sociales, como en este caso del facebook, y la palabra utilidad la veo mas como una característica de las redes

Chun Sing Lau Wong said...

I'm not sure, but i guess that the key word is utility, because is the most important word and all of the rest describe the key word.

Marianny García said...

I agree with some of my classmates, because I believe that the central word of the sentence is the utility that these networks have. Because social networks online open-access, allowing endless activities depending on the perspective that they are beneficial or not, but that most people like it.

Vanessa Garcia said...

i think the keyword is NEtwork because the wiki's are also a utility but not a network to connect people with. sorry for the late but i really forgot it.