I myself am a "digital immigrant". I grew up watching TV, listening to the radio and using tape recorders. I got my first personal computer when I was 28, a rather big IBM my husband and I had while we were doing our master´s in Boston. Fifteen years later we started using dial-up Internet mostly for e-mails.
According to an article by Ericsson phone company: "the first digital natives are now in their early 20s and have, typically, already sent and received 250,000 e-mails, instant messages, and text messages, used a mobile phone for 10,000 hours, played video games for 5000 hours and spent 3500 hours social networking online."I found this article in Spanish about a possible "physical mutation" in our fingers!!! Here is some information in English.
How about you? Did you play video games as a child? Do you still do? How many fingers do you use to send a message on your cell? How many do you use to type in a computer keyboard? Can you type without looking at the keys but just the screen? Can you multitask (study with the TV, music and/or messenger on while talking to a friend on the phone)? How often do you chat?
Are you a digital native, a digital immigrant or something in-between?
18 comments:
Jajaja I could say that I am part of that generation, I love videogames and I spend the most time with computers or phones.
This article about the changing physics of thumb is very interesting, I never stopped to think that thumbs dominate our hands Jajaja.
I'm definetly a Digital Native hehehe, i used to play videogames, but since i moved here.. i haven't play.. but everytime I go home, I play :D..
when I send a message I use just my thumbs to write.. and on the computer I use 3 fingers( including the thumb) from each hand.. I can actually write without looking at the keyboard.. I think I've memorized it. hehe
estefania Millan
i think im part of that generation, i can´t write without looking at the keyboard (on the computer) but i do so with my cellphone. also i like video games a lot, but now i dont play to much because i dont have enough time.
good article about the thumbs, i didn´t know that apart from changing our lives technology was also changing our bodies
Los equipos digitales nos han facilitado tanto realizar diversos tipos de actividades, que ya es algo habitual andar todo el día con uno de ellos encima, ya sean las computadoras, los teléfonos o las agendas electrónicas. Es tanto el uso que le damos que muchos hasta los utilizan sin ver o sin prestarle mucha atención a lo que están haciendo, es como si se les desarrollara un sexto sentido. Yo por mi parte puede mandar un mensaje sin ver absolutamente nada y usando mis dos dedos pulgares, con la computadora es exactamente igual pero para esta si utilizo 6 dedos
I'm digital native because all my life I be surrounded of computers or cellphones. I write in cellphone with my thumbs and the most of time with thumbs rigth only!. The technology to pass to be a luxury to be a need and in our days most of people used it!.
hahaha..!! so true actually I'm part of that generation.. I like to send messages whit my friends, spend free time in the computer playing or chatting... Is like an obsession but is general is fun..!!
Jeje Definitively I am part of that generation, because I always surrounded by computers, phones, and video games.
This article is very interesting!! I never think about the importance of the thumbs!!
I consider myself to be definitively a part of this generation. Since I was a girl I loved the video games. In fact, nowadays I am charmed with them. Always I have been interested in the new of the technology, the cellulars, the innovative computers, and I like to have it and to enjoy it. Anyhow, this it is my career and for something I chose it.
yo pertenezcoa esa generacion, aunque si me pongo a pensar lo rapido que ha avanzado me asusto jaja, la computadora que compras hoy ya a los 6 meses no sirve ya salio algo mas innovador, actual y mas util. Los blackberry's se apoderaron de las personas jajaja es asi estamos en un constante cambio y para los tiempos actuales esta cambio esta mucho mas acelerado y cada vez es mas rapido. asi que invinto a todos a que se pongan las pilas porque cada vez hay que actualizarse, sobre todo porque van a estudiar carreras tecnicas y/o cientificas ddonde los equipos mejoran hay nuevas tecnologias, por eso hay que estar pendiente de todo. Suerte a todos en su carrera y mucho éxito
ATTE. Kevin Esposito
I´m definitely a Digital Native. I couldn´t live without technology. I use my Thumbs to write a message and I use all my fingers to write on the keyboard, I can do it without looking :D
Consider the technological advances in the future, we may think that future generations will have a hologram to sing lullabies jeje.
Es increible como la tecnologia cada vez avanza mas rapido...!! como dice Kevin cada vez la tecnologia se renueva con mas facilidad... este articulo es super interesante nunca habia analizado la importancia de los pulgares jajaj cada vez adquirimos mas agilidad con los dedos por eo de enviar mensajes, chatear, los videojuegos jajaj
si bueno yo ya habia escuchado hablar sobre algo de las mutaciones en los dedos. Pero lo que habia escuchado era que con el paso del tiempo los dedos pulgares se harian mas largos y agiles. No sabia que estos cambios ya se estaban dando en nuestra generacion, pense que fuese a tardar mas tiempo. Con respecto a las prguntas, bueno pues en el celular si soy capaz de ver a cualquier lado y saber que es lo que estoy escribiendo. En la computadora, de vez en cuando bajo la mirada al teclado para ubicarme de donde estan las letras jejejeje. chateo todos los dias por el celular, y de vez en cuando en el msn. Y esi, a veces estoy escuchando musica, haciendo un trabajo, chateando y hablando con mi hermana o mi mama en persona jejejejeje.
Es increíble como con la llegada de este nuevo siglo los avances tecnológicos se han incrementado de una forma muy acelerada, generando en los habitantes de este planeta tenga un nivel de entretenimiento al alcance de su manos... Lo mejor de ello que dichos avances abarcan personas de cualquier edad, sexo, o clase social, en su mayoría todos hemos sido afectados de una u otra por esta nueva era tecnológica.
off course i am part of the thumb generation!! texting, playing videogames, etc... hahaha it sounds very very funny... but there is people excesively thumb generation.. they ring the bell with the thumb, write in the computer WITH THE THUMB!!! is unbelievable! luckily i'm not in that limits xD
Really we are all part of this generation! I use two fingers for send a message in my cell and often I use my computer, listen music while I see the tv. I think that is normal in the current generation.
I consider myself as part of this thumb generation. I have played Nintendo since I was 5 years old and I got my first cellphone in 5th grade and thats why I could say Im digital native
I believe im part of this generation too, since i was little i played alot of videogames and i can write without looking at the keydoard of the computer and cellphone as well. After i got my firt cellphone i have noticed that is pretty hard to not depend on it, and i think that's kind of sad, because as the time goes on the humans been depends more and more of the tecnology, and soon everything may become virtual and less real.
Adriana Gordon.
Definitely I'm part of the thumb generation. I have played a lot of video games and sent a lot of messages, but since I was born a lot of technology has came out.
In high school I did not use to write too much messages, and internet has just 3 years in my house.
Since I'm in university, I can't understand how does a person to survive without internet, and the money in my cell phone flies (before, I used it for months).
Johannes O'Day
Post a Comment