Jun 29, 2009

What does your brain see here?

We mentioned Dali in class last week. Here is an explanation of Dali´s hallucigenic Toreador. As a surrealist artist, he used to embed images within images.

Can you see the Toreador´s face, his tie, the bull, the flies ? The boat in a beach?

Kevin recommends this site for a sample of audio illusions.

How about this stereogram? Can you see what´s inside? Could a robot see it too? If you can´t get it, try this one.


Estefanía (TEFA) sent this link if you are a stereogram addict
and would like to figure out more.

26 comments:

Susana said...

guao, la primera imagen esta muy buena, es increible como logra ese efecto! muy bueno :)

Arianna M Diaz-Merry V said...

i really like stereograms! they are amaizing because you never know what you’re going to find or see… I really like the car and the dinosaur! Jaja they are really funny xD

Arianna M Diaz-Merry V said...

And I think that a robot can see the stereograms, because you just need is align your eyes "parallel" to the stereogram, so your eyes will focus somewhere behind it and you would be able to see the image. So the robots can easily do it by some kinds of cameras inside them and a program that helps them in that task. But i really don't know :P

Patricia Chacon said...

I really liked the firts picture! iTs so wonderful!.. The second picture is pretty but I cant To distinguish a concrete form jajaja. The stereograms are really interesting and funny!

gabriela rodriguez said...

the firts picture it's very amezing...i like the stereograms... they are very interesting!!!and The effect that they achieve is incredible=)

Igor Rivas said...

profe en la ultima ( la del estereograma ) no vi nada jaja creo q estoy ciego o usted nos esta engañando poniendonos cosas que nunca vamos a ver jajjaja mentira profe es broma

Unknown said...

a dinosaur !! hehehe :) i can see it !
I dont think a robot can do that.. or maybe they can but with an special camera or something like that..

Unknown said...

estefania millan !

Anonymous said...

The robots and we are totally different in the integral functions that we realize, we have some limits that the robots can realize, chambers(cameras) contain chips, because of it the robots can see the stereogram, owed that his(her,your) eyes were focusing everything seen with an effective brightness Manuel hernandez

Miguel Posse said...

Nice pictures... Dali´s surrealist paitings are amazing, good effect in their works. I like what he does :D
The stereograms are so confusing, I don't see nothing them and I don't have idea that you can see xD. I think that a robot could see something

Alejandro Serrano said...

i really like dali's picture, i saw the toreador's face and tie! :D but i dont see anything on the stereogram.. booo.. :(

Edgar Cedeño said...

the image or the stereograms is very nice, its incredible the effect.. i really enjoy to see the picture!

José Mauricio Rodríguez said...

Really good pictures! I can see the toreador, the bull and other things. But I can't see what is in the stereograms.

Anonymous said...

i couldn't see all the parts in the first picture very well but in the second one i couldnt see anything! jajaja

Vanessa Garcia

Chun Sing Lau Wong said...

the first picture is very amazing and funny. I couldn't find anything in the two pictures of the stereogram, and I think that robots can't do it, maybe in the future they will be have the capacity to do it.

Carlos Garcia said...

i already seen one of these before one about the dinosaurs, but these i just cant see them :(

Marianny Garcia said...

The first picture I really like, because I love the stereograms, I can appreciate most of the images present. The second one, I can´t see not well what is inside. Respect to the robots, I think they have very mechanical and limited functions, so they could do that if they have the possibility to think and reason, and this feature is very difficult to achieve. But not impossible!

Anonymous said...

adoro los estereogramas jajaja son mi pasion jeje, tampoco asi pues pero es divertido verlos

Kevin Esposito

Unknown said...

here ! i just found a web page, with a huge stereogram galerie !
http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/rds-ex.html they are pretty cool

Estefania Millan

Alfredo Correa said...

parece increible el efecto que pueden causar estas imagenes... son muy buenas XD

Berta said...

Hi everyone,
I hardly make comments of your comments, a policy I decided to implemenmt this term to see if comments decreased or increased compared to other terms, but I could not resist this one.
I am average in stereograms, sometimes I see them, sometimes I don´t. My son has a hard time getting them but my daughter is sort of "gifted" at them, ha, ha.
She says there is a giraffe in the blue one. It can also be interpreted as a dinosaur. When I looked at it, I thought it could be an animal with a long neck facing left and tail on right; but it could also be like a mammalian with head and face on the right and a long tail on the left going upwards (the last one is what I see better).
The brown stereogram, my daughter said it was a Formula one race car. That one I had a harder time getting and when I did, I just saw the tires but the rest did not make much sense. Last Friday after correcting the departmental exams a had another look at it and saw the racing car perfectly well. The front is on the right and it is tilted upwards. It is quite nice.

I do have a stereogram "picture" in my office in case you want to check it out.

My "strategy" is to get a bit of light reflection on the picture and try to focus on it until everything is "fuzzy" or blurred and the image pumps up.

Arianna did quite well and some of you said you got it but did not say what they were ;-) Practice makes perfect, I guess.

Cheers, Berta

Elizabeth Pino said...

the first picture it´s really amazing!! I like a lot stereograms! Yo never know what you are going to find! I always find a diferent forms and things!!

Georgina said...

It is impressive how they manage to form these images, and they do that every person sees something different. On the other hand, they are an optical illusion of depth created from flat, two-dimensional image or images so I believe that the robots can easily see it by some kinds of cameras inside them or programs that help them to do it.

Alejandro Nunes said...

la primera imagen, la mas grande esta muy buena. la segunda no entiendo que es lo que deberiamos ver alli. Porque no veo nada jajajaja

Anonymous said...

i really like stereograms, i think they increase our creativity and imagination.
the first one is pretty amaizing too bad i can't find averyting but its really funny to look at it.
but in the second one a can't see anything =S
Adriana Gordon.

Anonymous said...

Cool! I don't see the Toreador... Maybe it's just a matter of take it easy and stay a while.
But I see the dinosaur perfectly and very easily, 'cause precisely I have a book with a lot of those 3D images that i borrowed to a friend, and these days he gets it out everytime, so I have practiced watching the great deeps and forms of the pictures.
Johannes O'Day