Apr 28, 2009

Concepts in BB cosmology

The reading we are covering in class this week can be partly found in this link from NASA.

Here is the illustration that was not so clear in our copy (page 7) -at least to me- and which presents the possible scenarios for the size of the universe according to time, from which the red curve is the one our universe seems to be following.

One of our Physics majors, mentioned that the universe started as a "singularity"?!*?!# Go to the second paragraph of this link -if you want to- to find more about it. There is also (guess what?) another video there. That´s right. Quite interesting, though, and it is just 6 minutes. It mentions some of the concepts in Cosmology we have read about lately.

If someone is interested in string theory, here is a reading . There is also a nice video created by NASA about Einstein which discusses key concepts. It is 7 minutes and a half, so watch it only if you are interested and have time ;-)

Arianna recommends this video on the size of the universe, and Alejandro Nunes this one on Milky Way and the reason why it is named that way.


14 comments:

Arianna M Diaz-Merry V said...

Hi! I think that this topic is very interesting because even if we know a little bit of the universe and all the theories of it creation, now we can learn many things that would help us to understand that amazing process that take a lot of millions of years and why many people like Galileo, Copernicus and so many other were interesting in the hole universe.

Marielis Rojas said...

thanks always aclarandonos Prof you the doubts that can arise, informandonos and ampliandonos the information on the universe. He is quite interezante that are many personages who we knew in the baccalaureate in Physics which they estan related to the origin of our universe and that by means of their theories is podico to prove the results of the investigations on the subject.

Hymalai said...

The string theory seemed very ambitious to try to clarify all the questions we have about the universe, defining things as simple strings in its basic form, we will have to wait for another genius as a Albert Einstein to see if this can be either not possible.

The reasoning of Einstein is incredibly successful and most amazing is to see that many things that he said the scientists had to come to have certain technological advantages that Albert never need.

The fact that it has established the existence of a cosmological constant, that is, a form of energy that causes the universe to remain relatively steady, it is really fascinating ...

Arianna M Diaz-Merry V said...

Hi! I found this video (“Size of the universe” in youtube) that i think is very interesting, because we are studying the universe and thanks to it we can see how small are the planet earth in our universe. Because we’re just a little point inside many galaxies, the milky way, among other.
The link is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0lxbzgwW7I

I hope you enjoy it! xD Bye!

Patricia Chacon said...

Hi!.. The expansion of the universe In my opinion is so interesting and though texts are so long I learn some things that didn't knew for example the possibility of the universe to collapse back on itself and the possible shape to it ..is so impressive.

Alejandro Nunes said...

profe gracias por el gráfico..en mi copia tampoco era muy claro que digamos!..Por cierto, con respecto a lo que hablabamos de ¿Porque Via Lactea? aqui consegui dos paginas con informacion, aunque la de wikipedia es mas completa!..saludos
http://86400.es/2007/02/21/%C2%BF-por-que-se-llama-via-lactea/

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%ADa_L%C3%A1ctea

rafael blanco said...

i didn´t know that many technological advances were made thanks to einstein work. The whole video is interesting, we can see that the percentage of the of the universe that we know is very very short, and that almost with every new discovery there come, also, even more questions

Raúl Rodríguez said...

I found that is great that the people is tryng to make simples the laws that rule the universe. I really like the phrase that was writen at the begening, about that is wonderfull how we had make our way to understand the universe.

The second paragraph of the reading was very interesting to,it's makes want to now more about the universe.

Anonymous said...

Wow.. this is a really interesting video!.. our planet is so little jejeje, I think the topic of this course is fascinating!.. sometimes we don't take the chance to read, investigate and learn about our universe!.. Thanks Prof!..

Romina Hernandez

Maria Alejandra Sánchez. said...

There is so many things that we don’t know about the universe, so many questions, theories, hypothesis.
One thing that impress me every time that I think about it, It’s the fact that existed people so smart like Einstein or Newton, the had few information about our universe and the discovered these principle that is the basis of another discoveries that let the things be the way they are today.

Carla Guadalupe Cabello López. said...

Incredible! How everything in our live is related. Now that I`ve being reading and watching many videos about physics, I believe in the phrase that many people say “Live is physics”. I used to say that live is chemistry. But know that I have information of it, I think is true everything that we see around us is connected with physics.
Its so impressive how every small concept is important to get a new advance or to develop a new theory. I can´t believe how this Scientifics like Newton or Einstein create all this theories, even they didn’t have many information or instruments as we have today. I think it was the interested that they have to solve the big question of How the universe birth took part?
Is kind of funny, how all these Scientifics spend almost all their lives searching and trying to solve this mystery. Then they created many math equations, which are used in our live like something normal. As my physic´s teacher said, these “equation took Newton twenty one years to discover it, now you will use it in only 21 seconds”….

Carla Guadalupe Cabello López

Adriana Carolina Gil said...

The definition of the word singularity its not clear for me... What I understood is that are zones of infinite density but just the idea of thinking in infinite and specifiquely in infinite matter is so weard and crazy that I cannot understand it completely.

Btw the graphic does looks clearer than in the page that you gave us (specially because it has color).

I have to say that the string theory is so much more crazy that what I just mention before. I cant image that the entire universe is made up of strings. Nevertheless, this theory could be true even if it doesnt seem right to us because as many of the gratest human discoverys it is at first rejected.

Sergio Barbera said...

hi.. the universe its so amazing.. we only know a little part of it and it is so interesting.. i hope that in a few years we develop the technology to discover more about the universe.. i also like the explanation about the expansion of the universe..

Maurizio Della Polla said...

I am very surprised about the expansion of the universe because it happens so fast and nowadays it doesn't have certain theories about it.