Apr 8, 2009

Welcome to our blog for ID1-113

Dear students from ID1-113: This will be the place where we will keep in touch throughout this term. I hope you get used to visiting this site, bringing creative ideas on how to read better and more efficiently in English, and making comments about our activities, strategies, materials, etc.

As you may know, this is the last required English course for most of you. Math students still have one more year of four-skill content based English courses. They are very lucky indeed to have a study program where English is given a special place. The rest of you can either take Communicative English, Toefl, Writing in English or two-year courses in French, German, Italian, Japanese and Mandarin, once you hace completed all the three first -year English courses.

Did you know about this? Yes, you can take any of those courses right here at our university. You need a pre-registration, though, and permission from your professional studies coordinator in order to take these courses. Positions are filled early as there are too many students who would like to take these extra-plan courses (credits are valid for your GPA but do not count towards graduation)

Again, our main course objective will be reading comprehension but this time we will focus on three areas: the universe, evolution and artificial intelligence. We will be applying some of the skills and knowledge we learned and practice in the previous two courses. Check the evaluation plan in the side bar and start posting your comments, suggestions and concerns in the "comments" area at the end of each blog post.

To get you started writing, please tell us about your expectations in this course, what you would like to improve in your reading, what you would like to learn, if the courses have been at your level so far or if they have been too easy or too difficult. Go ahead and leave your comment. To have an idea on how blogging works in a reading course, you can visit previous sites published in the first and second terms.

If you don´t know how to write a comment, click here for instructions. Let´s begin then !!!

24 comments:

Berta said...

Just checking if "recent comments" feature is working well.

Carla Guadalupe Cabello López. said...

Well… I have seen ID-111 and ID-112 the first one was kind of easy to me, because it was like a review of some topics that I have already seen. Even though, it was really nice because I learned a lot of vocabulary and practiced speaking skills. I liked the second one too because I had to made many readings so I improved my reading skills. I think ID-112 help me to become a faster English reader.
About ID-113 I would like to learn new vocabulary and I guess that I will improve my listening abilities with this course. I have heard that are long texts. I think it is really important for us. Because we will have to read a lot of texts or books that are written in Professional English through our entire career.

Carla Guadalupe Cabello López

Patricia Chacon said...

I see the ID-111 and ID-112 courses. Well, in both I understand the materia contain in guide but always in the Departamental exams my note was terrible :S. However I like english. I learned so many words and now feel that is more easy understand the texts. In ID-113 course I hope lern a lot of words and improve my capacity of reader in Departamental Exams.

rafael blanco said...

well this is the first english course i take at USB, but i like the languaje so i guess this is going to be interesting. I think i'm gonna improve my listening and reading skills and also i hope to learn things that will be useful for me along the career

Kevin Esposito said...

Hi,Thanks for your welcome and the information of the other language courses. Well, I have more than two years without practice in English, and I have some problems with it.

Bye.

Kevin Esposito

Romina Hernandez said...

Hi teacher!.. thanks for your welcome to this course. I like this language a lot.. actually I went to the International School here in CCS when i was 3 or 4 years old and i learned a lot!.. I think the time that I spendended at the International School was very helpfull with the vocabulary and pronuntation!.. but i didn't learn all the things that i've learned in the three courses of english at the USB like how to be a good reader.. so in my opinion this courses have been very interesting. Thank you a lot.

Romina Hernandez

Gabriela Rodríguez said...

hi teacher. thank you for the welcome to the english course. specially thanks for this page, its very interesting, and it have very good information. i liked a lot. i saw in the last months the id-111 and id-112 and this is my first time that i use this blog. good night.

Anonymous said...

Hey teacher! thanks for welcoming all of us in the page and of course in the course.
i find really interesting the english clases in the USB, are pretty different that the ones we were use to at school, and i find that great because is the part that was missing in our lenguage, the "cientific part".
Vocabulary for me is one of the most important facts of learning a lenguage, and of course talking, wich we don't do very often, but i think that helps a lot because we need to run from all aour fears, is not the same writing something that talking in another lenguage.

Georgina Elorza said...

My expectation of the course is to take advantage of it and to manage to learn all the necessary vocabulary, because I think that this one is one of the most important steps to learn this language. There are many the limitations that the people have when they are not having a wide vocabulary.
The courses of English 112 and 111 have had a good level of difficulty. I really like this language and I hope a lot of good things of this course

Jhoelis Calderón said...

The site is very good, it's an excellent idea to maintain an interaction with the teacher and classmates.

To be honest, English is one of the areas in which present difficulties, especially understanding verbally, reason principal the courses have been very difficult for me.

I hope that this opportunity I can understand much better, read more quickly the different texts, learn more about the topic of the course, which I find very interesting and entertaining and above all get a good grade.

Jhoelis Calderón

Marielis rojas said...

thank you I was a teacher in an English course and I love it the way you work, activities that leave us in the blog world to help us understand more the issues we are working on the course .. I have my English but I hope to leave on very well with you and take everything that we can teach.

Hymalai said...

hello, in this new English course, I start with all the desire to improve my English, then I read in this article the issues that we will carry out and are very interesting, besides bringing extensive discussions at global level. I really hope not to see the English as a subject but only as a life experience.

Maria Fernanda Baez said...

Profe Veo que este curso es muy participativo :), que bueno... En realidad no se van a arrepentir de ver este curso con la profesora Berta, es muy buena y tiene muchas estrategias de enseñanza, por algo ya se ha ganado varios premios por su excelencia como docente. Ya es la tercera vez que veo ingles con ella y a mi en particular me gusta mucho sus clases. Espero aprender más vocabulario en este trimestre y adquirir mayor habilidad para leer y entender más al momento de escuchar. Por lo que veo van hacer textos muy interesantes así que ha aprovecharlos al máximo

Berta said...

Dear Adriana G., Patricia, Rafael, Georgina, Kevin, Romina, Ma. José, Alberto, Marielis, Carla ... you are all right. Utility is the key term of the combination (sorry Alfredo ;-(
BTW (by the way) nice explanation, Carla. Maybe you can substitute me one day, ha, ha.

See you, everyone!!!

María Alejandra Sánchez Marín. said...

Hi teacher, thank you for the welcome.
I think this is a really good idea to work in our course because we can learn a lot reading here, besides so far what I've seen are subjects really interesting…

Posidio Delgado said...

Hey teacher..great web site!
I hope to learn a lot of this course and of your person;)..

I hope you bear with me because I'm not very good for this lenguage...

Well Mrs. Leiva we are see you in class:)

José Mauricio Rodríguez said...

Hi! thank you for the welcome to the course.
I think this page have very interesting articles and is a good way for the communication between the teacher and the student. I hope we all learn a lot.

ISAAC RONDON said...

even though the first two courses were kinda hard, they really helped me in improving my english, specially in my reading skills. I trully hope the ID113 course helps me to perfect those skills.

ISAAC RONDON

Raúl Rodríguez said...

thank you for your welcome teacher, i haven't seen neither ID-111 nor ID-112, you can supose the reason. I want to learn a lot of new things in this classes and... see you.

Walter Dig Fuentes Castillo said...

Hola prof... Me parece excelente la idea de tener un sitio Web para esta materia ya que lo veo como uno de los medios de aprendizaje mas útiles y prácticos, a su vez este medio nos puede ayudar a comprender más fácil los textos en ingles, también quiero agradecerle por este texto introductorio así nos da una idea de lo que vamos a trabajar durante este trimestre.

Alejandro Nunes said...

Profe no habia podido entrar en el blog ya que tenia problemas con el internet!..ya esta todo solucionado!..saludos
no se si esta bien pero aqui vamos:
hi mis bertha, i'm not have visit the blog because my conection was damaged. Problem Solved!.. greetings

Chun SIng Lau Wong said...

Well, I think that ID-113 will be very interesting, because i think that this course will be different to ID-111 and ID-112. This course will be more practice about the subject that be learn in the other courses. I hope that this course, I can learn and practice English.

Chun Sing Lau Wong

Maurizio Della Polla said...

Hi teacher thanks for let me to do the change of section. I think that ID-113 will be a very interesting course and on it we will learn new strategies to read and understand many speeches and some articles. I hope to learn some many things on this trimester.

Marianny García said...

Hello Prof. Berta. Well my expectations for this course are to improve my reading comprehension texts of greater difficulty. Increase my vocabulary in the English language and achieve fluency at myself. The previous course ID1111 and ID1112 were neutral in terms of difficulty, but the department looked into showed that cost me some issues.